Friday, September 10, 2010
Big Australian Adventure: Saturday
Okay, day 2 our the epic adventure. Sorry this has taken so long to post. Anyways! Saturday morning we got picked up really early by a bus transporting us up to Cape tribulation. We got picked up sometime around 7:20 am and much to our lovely surprise, our bus driver/tour guide was absolutely FANTASTIC! He was this crazy, chubby guy probably in his mid to late 20s named Roddy. He had horribly scruffy facial hair, wore neon purple sunglasses, and had a lip ring. He joked around a lot as was a really cool guy and definitely made the drive up a lot of fun. On the way up we stopped at a little breakfast place for something to eat which made the BEST bacon and egg sandwiches on sesame seed buns. We eventually got to the daintree river, and at that point we got on a boat for a little crocodile tour while roddy took the van across on the ferry. We saw some epically huge crocs during this sweet little boat cruise. One of them they guessed was near 100 years old because all of his teeth had fallen out. His name was scarface and he had to club all of his prey to death with his head. After the short cruise we hopped back onto the bus and our next stop was the Daintree rainforest to take a little walk. WOW. This place was absolutely stunning. I learned a lot about all sorts of plants there, but my favorite thing was probably hearing about the mangroves. They live in really saline water, but the only way they can manage is by filtering all of the salt into one leaf called a sacrificial leaf, which then dies so the rest of the tree can live. CRAZY! Walking through the oldest rainforest in the world was definitely a surreal experience. It really was just completely awesome. I wish we would've been able to walk for more than the 45 minute we spent in there, but we had more places to go and things to see, so once again, we hopped on the bus to get dropped at our hostel. Our hostel was basically in the rainforest right at the edge of the beach. I got put in a separate room from everybody else, but it worked out okay because I got to meet some really cool people! plus, everybody else was just right next door or across the way if i needed anything. I had 4 roomies, a kid my age named michael from germany, a woman in her late 20s or early 30s from Ireland, and a really young couple from the netherlands. I got to hang out with michael a little bit, he was pretty cute and was the most stereotypical german ever. He said "yah" a lot. It was kind of silly. So yes, we took a lot of strolls along the beach, which was also so beautiful. You could see a lot of the forest covered hills and there were all of these really cool fallen/growing sideways giant trees that we took some cool pictures on. I only got in the water once, and only to my waist. It was kind of dirty with a lot of leaf litter and such, so i came out with all of this stuff stuck on my legs. So yes, a lot of time was just spent walking along the beach and chilling out. One of the coolest things about being up in the rainforest is all of the spontaneous 20-30 minute rain storms, and its great that it is a nice, warm rain. We got caught in one of these little downpours and just played around in it, skipped some rocks, and found some awesome shells. Later that night a bunch of people got really drunk and rowdy, even though this wasn't exactly a place to do that. I'm pretty sure most people go out there to connect with nature and enjoy the quiet. The people i was with weren't the LEAST bit quiet. They were wrestling out in the open porch between the rooms and yelling and screaming and I'm pretty sure one of them vomited right outside my window. I told my roomies I'd go talk to them, but they were thoroughly annihilated and beyond the point of being reasoned with. At one point Aleks started taunting me about how I was upset and she was just being really patronizing about the whole thing. So yes, eventually the Irish woman went out and told them to shut the F*** up. She said you know you're too drunk when an Irishwoman tells you to settle down. hahaha. she was great. She didn't want me to go out and talk to them because she didn't want bad blood between me and my friends. Honestly, half of those people I don't regularly hang out with so i could care less. they were being obnoxious and it was embarrassing. I think that just about covers everything, It was a pretty chill day overall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment