Today kicked off orientation week for the international students. I had to attend a basic seminar about classes, enrollment, health insurance, etc. It didn't take too long and afterward there was a barbecue for all of us in the fine arts center where they had live entertainment, free food, and raffles. We had hotdogs, or I guess you could call them the Australian equivalent. They were probably 50% longer than regular hotdogs, sort of more sausage-like, and you eat them on regular bread instead of buns. Whatever they were, they were downright delicious. I didn't win any of the raffle prizes, but I did run into that obnoxious girl from San Diego that I first met on the bus ride to campus. She sat behind me during the seminar and kept complaining about how she didn't want to have to listen to people ask questions at the end. There were only two people who asked questions and I was one of them. Luckily for me, I was talking to another kid at the barbecue who also confirmed her HUGE attitude problem. I was quite glad that other people had noticed too.
After the barbecue I went back to my room for a little down time. I hadn't planned on getting a phone, but everybody here seems to be getting one and I don't want to be left out. After a little convincing from Jean Slana, I quickly ran back to the bbq to get my free sim card from the phone guy and put $40 on it, which should last me the entire semester. Tomorrow I will go and buy a cheap phone to put it in. After that quick change of mind I spent the majority of the afternoon sitting out on my balcony reading my book.
A little before dinner I met up with the ladies to help them move from their temporary Uni Hall housing into George Roberts where the boys, and all of the other cool kids that I've met so far, are living. I'm definitely sad to see them go. It's at least a good five minute walk and now I won't have anybody to walk me back late at night. Luckily for me Cameron is a pretty good guy and said he wasn't going to let me walk back alone so he escorted me home this evening. But anyways, I ate dinner with them at their dining hall and met another cool aussie, Peta. After we spent some time hanging out in Jeppo's room, bumming around watching youtube videos and listening to music. All in all i'd say it was a pretty good night. Tomorrow we're headed downtown to a bar called mad cow because tuesday nights are cheap drink nights. I also believe that this is the kind of bar that has dance music, which means I will surely be debuting my dance moves. I hope they can handle them!
Oh yeah, those Norwegians who are temporarily living in my building before finding off campus housing keep leaving the toilet seat up. Come on now, it's not hard to put it back down when your done. This is getting ridiculous.
Sounds like an encouraging start to your adeventures, and tasty hot dogs, to boot! Now there's always a fall-back food. Get yourself a cheap barbecue grill and you can crank up a snack anytime outside your dorm. Don't know if they allow that sort of thing, but it's a thought.
ReplyDeleteBe safe out there.
Already a better start than Macalester in terms of food and beverage! Good thing you'll be able to play some water polo to keep that calorie count balanced, haha!
ReplyDeleteNah, I'll probably lose more weight here. The hot dogs were good, but they're definitely not an all the time thing. The food otherwise is definitely pretty disgusting. The upside is that they actually have fried food here at school! I can't wait for breakfast to serve mcdonalds style hashbrowns again
ReplyDelete